9.03.2007

What the Hell is an Update?

I had completely forgotten that this blog existed, but I suppose life can do that to a person. I took up blogging on Myspace, but much prefer the look and privacy here.


In May, I should have been celebrating my graduation with my MA in theology. I was able to complete the program in just 16 months, becoming the fastest person ever in the school's 50 year history to do so. I was planning on starting my phD right away and relocating to a new apartment. And then I was dealt a huge heartache.

My father, the man I love and idolize more than anything in this world, disclosed to me something I was trying to deny. He is battling very rare and very aggressive tonsil and throat cancer believed to be caused by exposure to Agent Orange in the Vietnam War.

I didn't even hestitate. I pushed all my plans aside and came home to be with him. I don't at all regret this choice, but sometimes I am overwhelmed emotionally. My dad has always been Superman to me, and I could never envision him being ill or facing mortality. I hate that he has to receive radiation everyday and go through chemo.

The community has been wonderful. They are sponsoring a benefit spaghetti dinner for him on Saturday to help defray some of the medical expenses. The chemo and radiation are over 100,000 each, and this is not counting his weekly blood withdrawals, his 50+ miles a day to receive treatments and the 28,000 dollar bill for his biopsy procedure. Every little bit will help us and its been so touching to see the community come together. Some of his friends even shaved their heads to show him their loyalty to him.

Of course I would set aside everything for my father. This is a man who rented me the Monster Squad every night without complaint, bought me my car, provided me with a college education, and supported me in everything I ever wanted to do. When I told him I wanted to be a theologian, he never objected. Never lectured me about the lack of money I would make. He was just happy I was pursuing a passion. He's been my cheerleader through it all. He's done without so much so that I could have it all. He once took a whole paycheck so that I could have saxophone lessons.

So really, I don't feel like I am doing nearly enough for him.

I was thrilled Saturday when I got a call from my mother saying my brother and sister-in-law were in town for my brother's stepfather's father's funeral (was that complicated enough?) . I was in Wheeling visiting some friends, but I took Margaret with me and made the trek to Morgantown. My brother is the second most important man in my life, and getting to see us all together was joyful. My father has lost his hair and teeth, but he refuses to lose his sarcastic, witty edge. My brother and I are cut from the same cloth, so we had a great time ribbing on my sister-in-law, Margaret and my mother.

All I know is that I am grateful to God. I understood why I was able to get through my MA so quickly, so that I could channel my time into my father. I am also grateful that God brought a person back into my life that I have always cared for. Just getting to talk to this person has been a peaceful and pleasant experience for me. It's not everyday someone comes along who not only appreciates your sarcasm and humor, but works to trump it. I know this person is also dealing with some major issues to work out, but that person knows I will always be here for him. I am just very proud of how much he has worked towards the greater good.

Hard to say where things will lead, but taking it one day at a time has been wonderful so far. ..


Probably going to venture out and see the Halloween remake in a little bit, so my thoughts on that should be up later. Halloween is a sacred movie to me, and having Rob Zombie turn Michael Myers into a lumbering Jason-like killer makes my soul die a little on the inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home